Tryouts for the Kingfish will be taking place starting the first day of practice on Tuesday 5/30/23 and continuing through at least the first week of practice. All tryouts will be held in the lap pool. [Hint for new families; the water is usually very cold at the beginning of the season and the lap pool feels deep for younger swimmers so please bring them down to practice over Memorial Day weekend so they feel comfortable when it's time to try out.]
YOUR SWIMMER(S) MUST BE REGISTERED WITH KINGFISH BEFORE THEY CAN TRY OUT. You can pay your Registration fees after try-outs if you aren't sure what level of the program is appropriate for your child.
Age groups for the tryouts are based on our daily afternoon practice schedule:
- 8 & Unders: 4-4:45pm
- 9-10s (11-12s are also welcome to try out at this practice): 4:45-5:30pm
- Pre-Team: 5:30-6pm (Little Kingfish will also try out at this time)
- 11-18s: 6-7pm.
- TEAM: can safely be in the lap pool (without a parent) and swim a full length of the pool in freestyle and backstroke without stopping and also have the endurance for a full swim practice.
- PRETEAM: can safely be in the lap pool (without a parent) and swim about 3/4 of the length of the pool without a kickboard and without parental support and also have the endurance for a 30-minute swim practice.
- LITTLE KINGFISH: Ages 3 and up; can separate from parent for individual or small group lessons in the shallow end of the social pool and feels comfortable in the water.
Try-outs are supervised by our Head Coach and/or Assistant Head Coach. They will make the determination on what level is best for your child. We prioritize safety in the water as well your child's current swimming ability and ability to follow the coach's instructions when making these decisions. Children on Pre-Team and Team must be safe in the water in a lane with several other children and will need to be appropriate for group instruction.
If you have any questions about when your child should try out or you need to try out at another time, please email Mimi Zaw-Pham at [email protected].